August 24, 2010

Quebec City


I finished Quebec City yesterday, that was quite a journey that piece! It has a lot of different elements and details but I think it has paid off. I'm very happy with the result, I love how it gives you a glimpse into the city without going there. It is like all these murals they have in the city where you can peek into peoples homes. This piece gives you a chance to peek into the lives of ordinary people on the streets of Quebec city, doing ordinary things. Because it has so much detail you can look at it endlessly and discover new things about it. It was even like that for me when I was creating it, because I had used so many different photographs I kept discovering little details I had not seen before. That's why I love creating these pieces, they're give me the opportunity to journey back to a place I've visited and discover it in a whole new way, taking in so many more details that pass you by when you're just walking past them. So it's not just a journey of creation, it is also a journey into my memory and into the unknown. I snap so many pictures when I'm on a trip, and I take them quite quickly so I catch things on camera that I didn't even notice at the time. 
Quebec City is like a fairytale town. It has an old citadel which was built high on the cliffs looking out over the Saint Lawrence river. When you walk past here and look out over the old town you see Chateau Frontenac, a proper castle in which you almost expect to catch a glimpse of Cinderella or her handsome prince.  And this is just the first glimpse, this city has a whole range of buildings that excite your imagination. Well placed murals offer you glimpses into past and present, offering the opportunity to do what we all like best, sneak a peak into other peoples homes. All in all the perfect city for me to explore.

No comments:

Post a Comment