February 04, 2011

Virtual world frustrations

I've had a very busy week this week, but if you ask me what I've been doing I would have to say "nothing much", because it hasn't really been that productive. Well that's not actually true, I hope, I've been doing a lot of work on my website this week, researching and inserting keywords and other meta data. This should yield some results in the virtual world but it doesn't really give me a satisfied feeling. First of all you don't get these results instantaneous, it takes weeks for these changes to take any effect and on top of that it's all virtual, I don't have anything to show for all my hard work and that frustrates me.

Creating my actual website was different because that at least gave me something to show, something that wasn't there before. This however gives me nothing, except maybe for some numbers in the future and that's not even guaranteed! Like I said, frustrating!

There are many discussions amongst artists about the amount of time one should spend behind the computer for marketing reasons. Many artists will tell you that your time is better spent in your studio with your work and maybe that's true. On the other hand in this day and age I don't think you can afford to ignore the virtual world, especially when you're just starting out. Having an online presence is a way to get your work out there and that's the most important thing when starting your career as an artist, to get your work seen. You can ignore the internet and pretend it's not there but then you would be ignoring the future because I think the digital world is going to become more important every day.

This doesn't mean I have to like it though, I'm still frustrated by my lack of studio time and I still don't like not having anything to show for all my hard work this week. That's why I write this blog this week, to give my virtual world frustrations to the internet and say; "see I did do something this week, hah!"

No comments:

Post a Comment