April 13, 2011

My Solo Show has officially begun!

I am typing this entry while I'm sitting at the gallery, I've just turned the sign from 'Fermé' to Ouvert and I'm ready to receive my first viewers. I expect this first day to be somewhat laid back since its the first day. Besides it's raining so here might not be all that many people out and about today. I actually like that idea, it gives me some time to ease into it a little and get used to the idea of sitting here and showing my art to the world. 

I'm sort of 'on display' while I'm sitting here, there's this table that's right in front of the window, which is quite nice because I get to look at the people walking by. But it's also a bit weird. I just hope I'm not scaring people away by sitting here, then again there's not really any other place to sit so they'll just have to deal with it right? 

I have to say this whole thing is quite surreal, I imagine I'm not the first artist to state this but it's just absolutely weird seeing your own stuff on the walls like this. Weird and exciting! I've spent so much time with it in my studio and it always seemed like this thing I just did you know? Nothing extravagant or amazing, just something I liked to do. And now all of a sudden its up here on the walls and I'm talking about it with reporters! 

It's nice though, to be able to share my work with the world, I feel very fortunate to have this opportunity, especially in this area of town. Its great exposure and organizing this show has given me a nice goal over the past six months. I really like having something to work towards, I think that's really important as an artist otherwise you might forget about the outside world when you're in your studio painting away. It feels good to finally share my work with the outside world. Being able to do all this in a foreign city feels even more like an accomplishment. I've only been in this city for two years so being able to organize a show in the Mile End and getting promotion from the press as well is really amazing! I did get a lot of help from Yes Montreal, Mess Montreal and ELAN and I wouldn't have been able to do this without them so a huge thanks to all the people there and to Monika, Natalie and Khosro especially. And off course a big thank you to my lovely husband who is endlessly supportive and who kicks my butt into gear when I need it most, I wouldn't be half the artist I am now without you!

No comments:

Post a Comment