July 07, 2011

Borough adventures...


On Tuesday I had planned a trip to do three boroughs in one day. I was going to visit Baie d’Urfe, Sainte-Anne-de-Bellevue and Senneville but halfway through the day my camera ran out of juice, it turns out I had forgotten to charge the battery before leaving, pretty stupid but hey, lesson learned right? So today I went back to finish the job.

I have to say I absolutely love this project already, it gives me an opportunity to spend some time in the sunshine which is never a bad thing and I have to say, Montreal keeps surprising me. You would think that with 34 boroughs in one city there would be little to distinguish them from one-another. NOT true! Granted, I’ve only done 6 boroughs up until now but every single one of them has given me a unique atmosphere and unique elements that really make them stand out from the rest. The other element I really enjoy about this project is the exploration element. I want to really explore all the borough has to offer so I try to cover most of it which takes me to places you usually wouldn’t visit. I’ve seen the most amazing houses and who knew that in Baie d’Urfe they decorate their fire hydrants? 

Today I had the most wonderful walk along the boardwalk in Sainte-Anne-de-Bellevue. That borough is really like a little village. I could almost do two separate pieces on Sainte-Anne alone because I’ve discovered that about half of it is like a collage town because there’s a huge campus and a lot of the houses around there look like students live there. On the other hand it is really a touristy vacation spot with little cottages and a great boardwalk with restaurants and little shops. 

After my nice walk I hit Senneville. Senneville is relatively small, it has a huge nature reserve in the middle but as far as houses and buildings go there is less then in the other boroughs. Due to it’s size I had decided that I wanted to cover as much of it as possible. After I discovered a nice little church by accident, I started with a walk through a neighborhood with a lot of really nice houses. It was almost like walking through a forest. After that I had decided that I wanted to follow the road along the water. Unfortunately this turned out to be impossible because of roadworks. Fortunately there were detour sign which I followed and which took me right back to the point I had started following them :(.

At that point I was very tempted to call it quits and return home for some studio time. I am SO glad I didn’t though. I drove to the point where I would have ended my tour of Senneville so I could drive the riverside road the other way around. It was like driving through the countryside with an accidental view of the river and the mountains. There were fields with sheep, old looking barns and the most amazing villas complete with driveway and imposing fences. It was such a difference from the little college/tourist town I had visited earlier, I was blown away! I can’t wait to see what the next borough has in store for me!

No comments:

Post a Comment