January 20, 2014

Steady progress...

Today the first episode of my ‘Creative Ramblings Vlog’ is online! You can watch it right here on this page or you can visit my YouTube channel. I initially thought I would do one episode per month but I have decided that one episode every two weeks would be better. I will still be writing blogposts every week, the vlog will just be added to these posts every other week. 

I’ve been making steady progress in my studio this past week. I’ve got a good number of pieces that I am working on, things are definitely evolving. I’m having a great time with my experiments! Even the abstract, which really scared me before, is taking shape. I am posting regular updates of my recent painting adventures on my Facebook page

It’s been kind of odd not having a ‘plan’ while working in the studio. When I started most of my pieces were part of the ‘Traveling the World’ series and then I had ‘Discoveries: Montreal’ which was a really focused project. Of course I did little experimental pieces in between but now the experiment is my main focus, there is no though out plan to follow, but I think that is a good thing. 

As an artist you need to keep growing and evolving and you can’t do that by doing the same thing over and over again. It’s scary as hell but it’s also very freeing. I think I’ve reached a point in my career where I need to reinvent myself and, like I’ve said before, the fact that I’m stepping away from the cityscapes for a while doesn’t mean I’ll never do them again. 


For now I’m really enjoying not having a plan, even though I still have those “where the hell am I going” freakout moments. I want to give myself a good couple of months of development and see where that is going to take me. At this moment my studio is filled with half finished pieces so I’m very eager to get back to work. Keep an eye on my website because soon I will be uploading some newly finished pieces!


No comments:

Post a Comment